Thursday, July 22, 2010

Seasonal Beers...when it's not the season

So, today our order of Sierra Nevada Summerfest arrived. But it wasn't Summerfest. It was Sierra Nevada's new autumn seasonal beer called Tumbler. This is a new beer they are using to replace the very popular Anniversary Ale (as this year is their 30th anniversary, Sierra Nevada is putting out 4 one-time brews for commemoration). The Tumbler sounds delicious, and I can't wait to try it.  But, I have problems with the timing of the release. Here are some:

1- This shipment came without specific order
2- If the Summerfest is gone, the I would like to replace it on my shelf with another summer style beer
3- While I don't personally let the seasons dictate my drinking choices, most customers are fine with it. One less summer beer on the shelf and customers tend to go elsewhere
4- If the Tumbler does not sell, and it won't, it will sit on the shelf taking shelf space
5- If it sits for a while, it will not be fresh. Does Sierra Nevada really want non-fresh beer to make it to consumers?
6- It's a waste of beer. It will be sent back in two months (September...still hot) .

This doesn't make sense to me.  I know it's hard to predict when to brew and release seasonals, but come on.  Why even make a seasonal if you don't have it during the intended season?

No comments:

Post a Comment